Ensure you and your family are safe during floods by following this guideline from Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs.
At least 32 people have died, and hundreds displaced due to recent floods that hit the KwaZulu Natal province. According to Forecaster, Wiseman Dlamini, the wet weather conditions are expected to continue until Thursday.
“The outlook for tomorrow still shows a good chance of showers and thundershowers over the whole province. We are going for 60% probability at this stage. On Thursday, it looks like Improvement may be expected from Thursday onwards,” Dlamini said.
The Cooperative Governance Department has released a list of what residents need to do in order to be safe:
1. Avoid areas subject to sudden flooding
2. Stay indoors- do not go out into flood waters
3. Move to upper levels of buildings or houses if the lower levels are threatened by flood waters.
4. Do not attempt to cross rivers or flowing streams.
5. Beware of water-covered roads & bridges.
6. Do not drive in flood waters
7. Do not go swimming or boating in swollen rivers.
— NationalCoGTA (@NationalCoGTA) April 23, 2019