Happy National Milk Tart (Melktert) Day! Celebrate with this delicious twist on the traditional melktert.
Dessert for breakfast? Don’t mind if we do!
February 27 is National Milk Tart (Melktert) Day and what better way to celebrate than by whipping up a recipe many of us grew up eating.
Food blogger Landi Govender is sharing an interesting take on the traditional dish – melktert pancakes!
“My kids love melktert. I could easily say it’s their favourite dessert, and since they love it so much I thought why not use it as a filling for pancakes?” she says.
Whether you call it milk tart or melktert, it still tastes good.
Here’s how to make Landi’s delicious milktert pancakes.
2 large eggs
200 ml milk
20 ml vegetable oil
5 ml lemon juice
250 ml cake flour
1 ml salt
200 ml water
2 cups of milk
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
80ml cake flour
60 ml brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Tennis biscuit crumble
200g tennis biscuits, crushed
80g unsalted butter, melted
1. Beat the eggs, add milk, oil and lemon juice.
2. Sift in the flour and salt and whisk until the batter is lump free.
3. Add the water and mix well. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
4. Pour a little oil in a pan to heat. Pour enough batter to cover the base of the pan. Swirl the pan around to spread the batter evenly.
5. Cook until the edges of the pancake start to lift, then turn over the pancake. Cook until golden brown.
For Melktert filling:
1. Heat up 1 1/2 cups of milk with cinnamon sticks in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat just before it starts to boil.
2. Make a slurry with the remaining milk, ground cinnamon and flour. Add this mixture to the saucepan along with the sugar and bring back to the stove top and whisk until the mixture has thickened.
3. Remove from the stove, remove cinnamon sticks and stir in vanilla essence. Cover the surface of the milktert filling with cling wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
Tennis biscuit crumble:
1. Add melted butter to crushed tennis, spread onto a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until browned at 180°c.
Spoon milk tart filling into each pancake along with the tennis biscuit crumble. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm.
View this post on Instagram
Celebrating National Melktert day with homemade crepes with melktert filling and a @bakersbiscuits tennis biscuit crumble. . . Tag someone who loves melktert 🇿🇦 . . . Made these using @sasko_sa, @naturasugars, @robertsonsspice cinnamon, @bakersbiscuits mini tennis biscuits, @ilovebakingsa . . . Recipe link in bio/ https://thetockablog.wordpress.com/2019/02/26/melktert-pancakes-with-a-tennis-biscuit-crumble/